Sunday, October 18, 2009

decisions....


Life changing decisions should be pondered, considered , they should not be made thinking you can run away from pain because you just can't, actually you may be running towards more pain than you bargained for...
I could not accept the death of my brother , i could not bare seeing my family suffer..
So i decided to come to Sicily, my husband promised he would take care of me, told my parents i was going to my new family. I left Scotland forever on a freezing cold September night in 1990 and arrived in Catania airport at lunch time the next day. Hot , too hot for my sensible Scottish clothing. Maybe the heat was telling me i didn't belong here and never would really. As we reached my in law's house where we were to stay for a short time ( ended up being 2 years ) my husband told me he would no longer speak to me in English so i would have to learn Italian.... Was this a new teaching method, very avant guarde and i was the only one who thinks it was an act of cruelty? Ok i learned Italian fast, faster than most , but how i hated him for doing that to me.
I waas 21 years old, greiving for my brother , my family and abbandoned by the only person i could comunicate with in my new home...

No comments:

Post a Comment