Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Divorce

Divorce was the only possible solution, that doesn't mean it was easy.
I found myself a tiny appartment and told Giuseppe i was leaving him.
For someone who obviously did not love me and did not even care about me his reaction was frightening...
You will not leave this house! He screamed , raged and swore. No this was not a case of - you don't realise until yoy lose- His anger was because his parents could not would not accept the scandal of divorce...
He wanted us to go on living together , pretending to his family that we were happily married while each of us living our own life, no questions asked , just be home every night under the same roof and attend Sunday lunch together with "la famiglia".
I was outraged at the very thought... I was supposed to live a lie for the rest of my life. I would never accept never!
For weeks i asked him to come tell his parents with me, he told me to just leave if i had to , he'd tell them later...
I would not sneak out like a thief , i owed it to them to tell them myself i was leaving. I didn't expect understanding , i didn't expect Mamma's violent reaction either, she grabbed me by the shirt, screamed at me "Puttana hai un altro!" Of course i was the foreign girl it was all destined to be my fault, i had a lover , i couldn't give him babies , i had failed him... There was no way she would ever believe HE had a lover , he had failed ME.... I left that same night for my new appartment ,my new life as a young, single Scot in Sicily...
The day after i started to face Italian burocracy in order to obtain my divorce----

No comments:

Post a Comment